What are stinging insects?
Very nice and thorough.
Whether you have wasps, bees, yellow jackets, mud daubers, or hornets buzzing around your Texas property, you know they all have the potential to deliver painful stings. Stinging insects are common pests in our yards and around our homes. When nesting outside and away from people, stinging insects are incredibly beneficial. Still, when nesting on our property in a doorway, near a walkway, or on a child’s playset, they are unwelcome and dangerous.
Though you can narrow down what stinging insect has taken up residence on your property by the type of nest you find, it is always best to talk with a professional to ensure the accurate identification of the stinging insect and ensure its safe removal!
- Wasps build nests out of a paper-like material they create from pieces of wood or plant materials mixed with their saliva. Their umbrella-shaped nests have open, uncovered cells where the queen lays the eggs.
- Yellow jackets also build open paper carton nests and place them both aerially (up off of the ground) or in the ground. Yellow jackets nest wherever there are people. They like to forage food from our trash cans, recycling bins, and outdoor eating areas.
- Hornets build their nests out of a paper-like material, but their nests tend to be completely enclosed and resemble a large gray ball. They prefer to build their nests at least three or four feet off the ground.
- Mud daubers build their unique nests out of mud. Depending on the species, these solitary insects make short or long tubes out of mud. Mud daubers like to put their nests in very sheltered areas.
- A bee’s nest will vary dramatically depending on the species. Some nest in pieces of wood, others place their nest directly in the ground, and still, others will nest in tree hollows or on high tree branches.
Are stinging insects dangerous?
If people that are living in your home or that visit frequently are allergic to the venom of stinging insects; this presents a hazardous situation. Those allergic to their venom can experience anaphylaxis, a life-threatening condition.
Even if you aren’t allergic to stinging insects, having them live on your property in a high traffic area is never ideal. They can make you feel uncomfortable moving around your yard or make it difficult to enter and leave your home. The stings these pests deliver are painful and leave behind red, tender welts that last for hours or days.
Why do I have a stinging insect problem?
Things you wouldn’t expect that may be attracting stinging insects to your property include open trash cans, recycling bins, grill areas, and outdoor eating areas. It is not just flower beds and flowering landscaping plants that attract these pests.
Stinging insects will build a nest anywhere that provides them with a sheltered area away from predators near food or water sources. These basic needs can be met on almost any of our properties, whether in the city, country, or suburbs.
Where will I find stinging insects?
There are many places where stinging insects will build a nest. Most create nests outside, but sometimes a chimney, attic, or wall void located in our home is too much to resist.
Some common outdoor nesting spots:
- Tree branches and tree hollows
- Tree stumps and fallen trees
- Rock walls and woodpiles
- Ground holes or the abandoned nests of small animals
- Play structures, outdoor furniture, or decks
- Roof eaves or the corners of doorways or windows
- Behind shingles or window shutters
How do I get rid of stinging insects?
If you need help removing a stinging insect nest off your Austin property, turn to the professionals at Accurate Termite and Pest Control. Our professionals have a deep understanding of the stinging insects living in our area and know how to remove the nests safely.
Family-owned and operated, we are dedicated to our customers and helping people maintain pest-free properties. We tailor our pest control programs to meet our customer’s individual needs. With over 20 years in the pest control industry, you can feel at ease trusting us with your Texas home or business stinging insect control needs. Reach out today to learn more!
How can I prevent stinging insects in the future?
Our professionals at Accurate Termite and Pest Control have put together a list of helpful prevention tips to help Texas homeowners avoid problems with stinging insects:
- Remove things from your property like old woodpiles, construction debris, rock piles, and other unnecessary debris where stinging insects can build a nest.
- Cut tree branches back away from your home’s exterior.
- Clean out clogged gutters and repair leaky pipes that stinging insects can use as a water source.
- Fill in ground holes in your yard where stinging insects can nest.
- Keep lids on trash cans, recycling bins, and compost bins.
- Caulk gaps and cracks in your home’s exterior walls and roofline that may allow stinging insects to move inside.
- Place a tight-fitting cap on the chimney.
Schedule Pest Control In Austin, TX, Surrounding Areas
When pests come calling, you need to call Accurate Termite and Pest Control. Whether by phone or by filling out our appointment form, we will help answer your questions, provide you with a free estimate, or get you scheduled for the services you need.
Fill out the form below as best you can to get started.
I have used this service for 15 years, and they ROCK! I hide a key, tell them where it is, they go in, do the work, and leave the key where they found it. I have actually never met Brandon, but I would trust him with my life. Never have they been less than professional and thorough. No bugs, no hassles, no complaints.
I receive quarterly pest treatments and had them out for critters in the attic over the summer as well. Very friendly and helpful service! I felt safe with both men that came to help even though I was home alone. The price is competitive and fair. Would definitely recommend!
I hate bugs. Especially roaches. And especially in my house. I have been using Accurate, quarterly for 8 years. Thanks to them I don’t have to deal with bugs in my house. The peace of mind is immeasurable. Also, I get a call when it’s time for my service, so I don’t even have to worry about remembering that! Accurate can’t be beat!
We’ve relied on Accurate Pest Control for over 10 years. The technician is always on time, quick and pleasant. On our most recent treatment, he was happy to go the extra mile and remove cobwebs from our eaves. We are happy to recommend Brandon and his team as effective and trustworthy.
Reliable, professional, punctual, friendly, worry-free service. My experience with them has never been anything less than that for several years now, and I have absolutely no reason to believe that will change for many years to come. I could not be happier with them.
Accurate Termite and Pest Control received an average rating of 4.9 out of 5 stars
based on over 200 reviews.