Texans do everything big, and our mosquitoes are no exception. That certainly doesn’t mean that we like them. Having a plan to rid yourself of the miserable buzzing creatures is the wise way to go. You can spend a small fortune on all the over-the-counter products available at the local hardware store, only to be frustrated with the lack of results. Why go through all that when Accurate Termite & Pest Control is just a phone call away?
Mosquitoes Are Annoying And Dangerous
Mosquitoes are so much more than annoying. They are considered one of the most dangerous creatures on the planet. They can spread deadly diseases that do not affect them. Diseases can also be transferred from animal to human via a mosquito bite, specifically the West Nile virus. The following is a list of some of the diseases spread by mosquitoes:
- Zika virus
- West Nile virus
- Yellow fever
Do not dismiss this list because you think they sound foreign. Many cases have emerged in the U.S. traced back to a mosquito bite. Being vigilant and aware of the symptoms of these diseases may save your life. In 2020, there were 84 cases of West Nile in Texas alone.
Why Do Mosquitoes Like My Property?
If your Austin property has abundant breeding grounds and a steady supply of food, then they like you. It’s as simple as that. The trick is to make your property as unwelcoming as possible. Try some of these ideas:
- Remove stagnant water from around your property, this includes flower pots, old tires, and rain gutters.
- Ensure screens are in place, and do not leave doors open. Check for rips and tears in screen material, as well as bent or damaged frames.
- Remove any damp and rotting yard waste.
- Landscape with plants that deter mosquitoes: lemon balm, catnip, basil, lavender, peppermint, sage, rosemary, and citrosum.
Remember they are there for the food supply, and that isn’t limited to humans. If you have a lot of rodents or small animals like raccoons on your property, they are an attraction as well.
Professional Help Is the Way To Go
The easiest and most effective way to curb the mosquito population on your property would be with professional help. Accurate Termite & Pest Control is a leader in the Austin area, and we’re proud to say that we have been serving the community for 20 years. Offering outstanding customer service is important to us. Call today for a free initial consultation for your mosquito problem.
Aside from staying indoors all summer or in an icy climate, you will never be able to completely avoid mosquitoes. They thrive wherever people and animals live, work, or play. They make their way into homes, buildings, and even airplanes to feed on the unsuspecting humans. There are ways to decrease the chance of a bite, but of course, they are not absolute.
- Consider sleeping under mosquito netting.
- Use a repellant. DEET is available in many strengths, and works well. There are also several essential oil-based products that can be effective. This tends to work for some and not others, depending on personal body chemistry.
- Use citronella candles and torches.
- Wear light-colored clothing, for some reason they are not as attracted to them.
- Stay inside during dawn and dusk.
- Hang out around the campfire.