Out of all the types of arachnids that many have become familiar with, scorpions seem to strike the most fear in a great number of people, and it’s no wonder. Just the mere sight of these creatures is enough to strike a high level of alarm and anxiety in anyone. In fact, a study conducted by the University of California at Riverside found that people are more afraid of scorpions than spiders.
With all of the fright and trepidation involving these pests, isn’t it comforting to know that scorpions are no match for us here at Accurate Termite & Pest Control? Since summer is almost upon us, and that’s when scorpions are most active, there is no time like the present to find out what you can do to safeguard your property from them. Read on to learn all about scorpions and pest control.
Types Of Scorpions
There are approximately 2,000 scorpion species in the world; however, only 30 to 40 have venom powerful enough to kill a human. And here in Texas, there are around 20 different types of scorpions that residents have the possibility of encountering, but only a few different kinds of scorpions are commonly found. They include:
- Striped bark scorpion
- Lesser stripetail scorpion
- Lindo scorpion
- Florida bark scorpion
- Giant hairy scorpion
- Straight-faced solifugid
- Texas cave scorpion
However, here in Austin specifically, there are mainly two different kinds of scorpions, the striped bark scorpion and the Texas cave scorpion. Out of these two, the striped bark scorpion is the species most commonly known for invading homes. Knowing that, it’s a good idea to contact local pest control in Austin if you come across these pests in or around your home.
Don’t Accidentally Attract Scorpions
As with most pests, making sure your property is as impenetrable and undesirable as possible for scorpions to invade will help to ensure that they stay away. Some ways to avoid accidentally attracting scorpions include:
- Get rid of standing water in or around your property.
- Seal up holes, cracks, and crevices, especially at common insect entry points, like around windows and doors.
- Thoroughly inspect closets, cabinets, and other dark areas regularly.
- Clear away debris and brush from your yard, and keep woodpiles at least 20-feet from your home.
- Eliminate the insects that scorpions feed on, like crickets.
If you have inadvertently made your property appealing to scorpions, get in touch with Accurate Termite & Pest Control for reliable scorpion control.
Six Facts About Scorpions You Probably Didn’t Know
While there are a number of reasons to be terrified of scorpions, surprisingly, many species are not as dangerous as their outward appearance would otherwise have you believe. In reality, there are quite a few fascinating and fun facts about scorpions that most who come into contact with them are not aware of. We’ve listed six below:
- Scorpions perform a ritual dance prior to mating.
- Scorpions give birth to live offspring instead of laying external eggs.
- Scorpions can survive without a meal for up to a year.
- Scorpions can control the amount of venom they release with each sting.
- Scorpions existed before the first dinosaurs, more than 420 million years ago.
- Some scorpions have chemical compounds in their venom that can treat certain cancers.
Additionally, it is not uncommon for baby scorpions to remain with their mothers for two years. In these cases, the mom will kill prey in order to feed her young while they remain on her back.
Total Scorpion Control For Austin Residents
At Accurate Termite & Pest Control, we deliver powerful treatments to get rid of scorpions from your home, office, or other property. For more than 20 years, we have been providing superior customer service that is tailored to your specific needs. Known as “scorpion specialists,” our friendly, experienced technicians have the training and knowledge to ensure that your scorpion problem doesn’t return. Contact us today for your free estimate.